We are officially half way through the first month of the new year so I hope you didn't forget those fitness goals (side eye). Here are a few good tips to get you back on track to reaching those 2016 actionable goals!
1. Meal prep, meal prep, meal prep
Meal prepping is the best way to stay on track with accomplishing fitness goals. It is said that what you eat is actually more important than your workout routine. The key to meal prepping is having a fitness goal and then being consistent with it.
2. Research fitness guru's who have the same fitness goals as you.
I follow my fitspiration @massy.arias also known as ManKoFit. She is a beast!!! She posts amazing meal prepping tips, juicing and detoxing recipes, and motivational stories to keep you focused. Although I don't want to have the same body as ManKoFit, I am still inspired by her journey and consistency.
3. Assign a friend to watch your eating habits
Nothing helps more than to have a friend or family member check on you to make sure you are staying on track. Have a friend make sure you are not trying to sneak in some chunky monkey ice cream during a detox day.
4. Cleanse your surroundings
The most important step of meal prepping is cleaning out your personal and professional space. Rid your cabinets, draws, refrigerators, and pillow cases of all hidden sweets and delectables. If you don't, it will result in having a "SEE Food" diet, you see it, and then you will eat it.
5. Create the image of what you seek
Change the background on your phone to a motivational quote, photo, or image of yourself that you are striving to achieve. Every time you open your phone you will be reminded of your goal before you get to Facebook and scroll pass a Tasty video.
Create the change you seek. It is easier said then done. However, if you mentally create the path there won't be a way to cheat it.
See below for an example of an amazing meal prep from Shoya Clough! You can follow her on Instagram for more fit tips at @rudegyalskc
Typical weekly meal plan:
Monday: (breakfast) blueberry muffin & 1 cup coffee[splash of French vanilla creamer, no sugar], (snack) an apple, (lunch) homemade chicken breast [oven roasted], half of roasted sweet potato and flavored sparkling water, (snack) clementine, (dinner) leftover chicken breast and a whole sweet potato[medium size], quarter of a small avocado and glass of wine.
Tuesday: (breakfast) Carnation chocolate shake and a banana, (snack) Greek yogurt with blueberries, (lunch) chicken with broccoli and white rice lunch takeout [no sauce] and can sprite, (dinner), fruit salad with spinach and cottage cheese.
Wednesday: (breakfast) 3 boiled eggs, 1 small tomato, 1/4 small avocado and coffee with splash of French vanilla creamer, (snack) 1 serving of pineapples(7/11 personal serving size), grilled chicken over Greek salad, (dinner) salmon with steam veggies.
Thursday: (breakfast) blueberry muffin and coffee with splash of French vanilla creamer, (lunch) fruit salad with cottage cheese and spinach, and a water, (snack) non-fat frozen yogurt, (dinner) curried chicken and 1cup of rice and Gatorade.
Friday: (breakfast) 3 fried eggs with 1 small tomato, 1/2 small avocado and coffee with splash of French vanilla creamer, (lunch) Italian salad with chopped steak and flavored water, (dinner) honey bunches of Oates cereal with 2% milk
Saturday: (breakfast) blueberry muffin and coffee with splash of French vanilla, (snack) 1 clementine and 1 apple, (lunch) chicken and broccoli(no sauce, no rice), (dinner) Jamaican style chicken soup
Sunday: ( breakfast) honey bunches of oat cereal with 2% milk, (lunch) 4 boiled eggs with spinach, tomatoand avocado salad, (dinner) rice,beans, and stew chicken with veggies and wine.
Share this post with someone who needs help with their fitness and wellness goals!
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is crucial in order to UNLEASH YOURSELF. If you do not have a healthy mindset you will not have a healthy lifestyle. That ties into your mood, your aura, and even your personality. Personal health is so important as we work towards building our self confidence. If you don't feel good, you won't perform good.
Fitness Guru Shoya Clough (IG: @rudegyalskc) shared some amazing insights and tips with me in regards to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
1. Get to know your body. No two bodies are alike, everyone is unique. There is no strick formula for people, only guidelines. I learned that my metabolism works very fast so I have to constantly eat and I started to take in a high protein diet in order to pack on muscles in order to get the body I need. Getting healthy for me wasn't to lose weight but to gain (start:126lbs at 5'10", currently 143lbs). This ties into tip number two, goals. What is your intention for your body?
2. Make sure not to weigh yourself ( that will only drive you mad! ), rather use a measuring tape every couple weeks to keep track of progress. Don't judge yourself and compare yourself with others, instead celebrate you, where ever you are in your progress even at the very beginning. TAKE PICTURES. weighing oneself can be deceiving (our weight even fluctuates throughout the day, naturally). Pictures give you a visual of your progression and it can help by being that second pair of fresh eyes that you will definitely need.
3. Try to stay as natural or as simple as you can with the products you use for your body. Tea tree oil has been a God send for my skin. It is a natural antibacterial so you can use it with a little water or another light oil(coconut) as a toner for your face or anywhere else on your body that is prone to breakouts. Acne.org has the most amazing products for people who want to achieve or maintain clear skin without using harsh products and the site is also amazing at educating you about your skin.
All in all, a diet isn't supposed to be stressful. Appreciate every stage of you; the you that wants to change, the you that is changing, the you that has changed, and the you that wants to maintain that change. Be inspired by other people and never compare yourself, we as people should be one another's motivation, it's healthy! Use social media! YouTube has great at home workout videos you can watch to help guide you if you don't know where to start. Also, follow healthy lifestyle/ fitness Instagram pages as a way to be apart of a community of people like yourself. You will learn and gain so much more control of what your goals are once you see things that inspire you. Lastly, food is fuel but it is meant to be enjoyed, so YouTube a few healthy fun meal ideas so you won't be bored with what you are eating. Lastly, it's okay to cheat once in awhile. :)
Follow Shoya on IG: @rudegyalskc for more tips and tricks on maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Remember those 2016 goals and know that they can become actionable with willpower and a positive mindset.
Let's help each other! Comment below with your favorite fitness YouTube gurus!
New Year, New You!
It is great to do a juice cleanse before starting a new diet and workout routine. Learn which juice cleanse is right for you!
In order to fully unleash yourself this year and become a better you, it is important to care for your body in order to feel your most confident.
One of my goals for 2016 was to do a juice cleanse. Before running to Whole Foods and buying the 6 juices for the day I did a little research. I learned that doing a juice cleanse can actually be bad for your body. It can make you feel light headed, nauseous, and feel irritable. So instead of only drinking juice and no food for 3-5 days straight we can cleanse our bodies by cutting out sweets, fast food, sugary drinks, and high calorie foods.
You can also flush your system using a water detox in combination with cutting out fatty foods.
My personal favorite water cleanse is one liter of water, one lemon, one cucumber, and 10-12 mint leaves. Fitness guru Herline Valcin suggested to me that making the mix the night before and then refrigerating it overnight, will allow the nutrients to really infuse the water for a great refreshing taste the next day. She also suggests drinking hot water with lemon every morning before a meal, and taking a shot of organic apple cider vinegar with a cup of water. I am going to provide the health benefits of apple cider vinegar in my next post. It's so good for you and a must have to start the new year!
What detox cleanse will you try this month? Let us know if in the comments below!